We can sit here all day and night and argue about which program is the best and pro’s and con’s and shit like that but ain’t nobody got time for that I will show you how to rip DVDs using 2 different programs just in case you like one more than the other. I always have a back up plan so its great to have 2 programs in case one wont rip the DVD for whatever reason and best of all they are free to download !!!
For legal reasons let me state I don’t condone stealing and or pirating movies this guide will show you how to create a backup of a DVD you legally own.
A Lot of computers if not most can rip DVDs but its obvious that the faster and better hardware you have the faster you rip. Here is an example of my specs
I have a custom build PC AMD 4 core CPU 3.2 GHz overclocked to 4.4 GHz water-cooled with 16 GB’s of DDR 3 ram. I will write another post at a later time explaining how I custom-built my water cooling solution for my CPU.
The first program I will talk about is MKV http://makemkv.com/
This program is great its small and its fast.
I will show you the basics if you need more help or want to know more leave me a comment or email.
- Reads DVD and Blu-ray discs
- Reads Blu-ray discs protected with latest versions of AACS and BD+
- Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio
- Preserves chapters information
- Preserves all meta-information (track language, audio type)
- Fast conversion – converts as fast as your drive can read data.
- No additional software is required for conversion or decryption.
- Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
- Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.
- All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.
After installing the program place your DVD in your DVD ROM drive and start the program. You will see something similar to this. Click on the wrench icon and select where you want your movies ripped and saved to.Next click on the hard drive icon that is being pointed at by a big ass green arrow and you will see this.
After this is done you will see this
Ok so here in the box that says name put the name of the movie and you see that long ass list of check boxes that say title and chapter and then the size of each one of those boxes well 99 percent of the time I just click on the box with the biggest size chapter in this case the first one I checked is 2.6 GB’s which is the size of the DVD i inserted. Not all DVD’s will have this many check boxes some will only have one some will have a crapload. I would go into detail on why a lot of this boxes pop up but then I could get in trouble with the law hehehe. Anyways once you decided what box you want to click on then click on the make mkv icon with the green arrow on the top right.
You will see this green bars then when its done it will pop up complete yay !
The next program I use is called HandBrake http://handbrake.fr/
Handbrake can process most common multimeida files and any DVD or Bluray sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
- File Containers: MP4(M4V) and MKV
- Video Encoders: H.264(x264), MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 (libav), or Theora(libtheora)
- Audio Encoders: AAC, CoreAudio AAC/HE-AAC (OS X Only), MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis.
- Audio Passthru: AC-3, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC and MP3 tracks
- Title / Chapter selection
- Queue up multiple encodes
- Chapter Markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Constant Quality or Average Bitrate Video Encoding
- Support for VFR, CFR and VFR
- Video Filters: Deinterlacing, Decomb, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and scaling
- Live Video Preivew
- Built-in presets for common devices
Install the program with the DVD inserted you must load the DVD first by clicking this
click on that to load the DVD then
Next to file input the dvd name and the output settings choose mp4 or mkv I always pick mkv. When you click on browse it lets you save the rip where ever you want.
Click on the big ass green start button and you will see this
The settings on the right side of the screen it defaults to regular and normal if you want to change the settings to something else feel free to do so I haven’t messed with the other settings yet.
That’s pretty much to it if you need more help just add a comment or get a hold of me.